FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

Law Enforcement: Who do I contact if I think someone is breaking the law, including trespassing? 

  • Individuals should contact the 911 center at 540-382-4343 and request to speak with a deputy. If the situation is an emergency, individuals should call 911. Patrol division personnel have been responding to calls for service with respect to MVP activities and are aware of the established procedures for handling MVP related issues.  
  • The Sheriff's Office will continue operating under the same procedures that have been in place since the onset of MVP associated activities. The mission of the Sheriff's Office is to ensure the safety of everyone involved. If a property owner believes their land is being trespassed upon, at the property owner’s request, a Deputy will respond and make report of the incident. Each situation will be handled with regards to the specific set of circumstances involved. 
  • Members of the Sheriff's Office staff are not permitted to work as private security for any organization. This would include the MVP project. 

Emergency Services: Who do I contact if I have concerns or questions about personal health and safety related to fire and rescue services? 

  • In the true case of an emergency, individuals should call 911.  
  • If you have questions about whether or not a fire truck or an ambulance can access your location due to any construction or road closures due to construction, please call 540-394-2146. 

Environmental Issues: What do I do if I see environmental issues? 

  • If you have questions or concerns related to the environment, you can contact the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) at or by phone at 804-698-4000, Toll-free (in VA): 800-592-5482. 
  • If you would like to speak with a Montgomery County representative about any questions or concerns, you can call the county's General Services office at 540-382-5793.

Planning & Zoning: What do I do if I have questions or concerns about roads or land uses? 

  • If you have questions or concerns about roads, you can contact VDOT by phone at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623). To complete VDOT's online report a road issue form visit
    • Roads: Planning & GIS Services communicates regularly with staff at VDOT to stay informed about road impacts such as entrances and temporary closures that may be needed during construction. The county staff can help citizens get to the appropriate VDOT staff member if a citizens sees issues, or they can contact VDOT directly using: or 800-FOR-ROAD. As part of the review process, VDOT has reviewed all proposed road crossings and entrances in order to ensure their requirements are met. Additionally, as part of their permit process, VDOT requires sureties in place to address impacts to public roads and will conduct periodic inspections. 
  • If you have questions or concerns about existing planning and zoning requests related to the MVP, contact the county's Planning & Zoning office at 540-394-2148.
    • Land use: Planning & Zoning - The county cannot regulate the pipeline's construction through zoning to due to the Federal authorization process. However, any land use not approved as part of the FERC approval process is subject to the county's ordinances. This includes zoning, site plans, and/or flood plain requirements that apply and permits will be issued once compliance is determined. If a site plan is required, the full Development Review team will provide a review. This review includes ensuring compliance with the following regulations:  zoning, floodplain, erosion and sediment control, stormwater, water/sewer, and roads.