Childcare Providers Recovery Grant
Montgomery County and the Towns of Blacksburg and Christiansburg have established a grant fund to support the recovery and stabilization of childcare providers and their ability to respond to the changing needs of families as a result of the COVID-19
Please register through this grants portal to access and complete the grants application. Applications are due Nov. 1, 2020.
Eligible facilities are existing licensed family day homes, licensed child day centers, religiously exempt child day centers, licensed family day systems, certified preschools, and licensed after-school programs.
Facilities must certify that they provided or are willing to provide care for children in March through December 2020, and attest that they are following COVID-19 health and safety guidelines.
Eligible Grant Uses
Funds may be used to reimburse costs, including any of the following expenses made after March 15, 2020 (deemed “necessary” expenses for business survival):
- Payroll expenses, including wages or benefits (including hazard pay)
- Lease or mortgage payments
- Utilities (electric or gas)
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) or cleaning supplies or services
- Equipment and inventory purchases
- Technology enhancement (website development/updates, e-commerce, software, laptop, etc.)
- Professional services (mental health, accounting, legal, marketing, professional development, etc.)
- Other costs associated with response (i.e., furniture, toys, etc.)
Ineligible items include anything paid before March 15, anything already being reimbursed by other federal or state funds, and anything not deemed ‘necessary’ in responding to COVID-19. Grant funds must be expended in compliance
with state and federal law.
Applying for the Grant
Please register through this grants portal to access and complete the grant application. In addition to a completed application, the following documentation
- Copy of VDSS License (if licensed family day home or licensed child day center)
- Copy of exemption letter issued by licensing office (if a religiously exempt child day center (RECDC) or certified preschool (CNS))
- Virginia W-9 form “Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
- Payment will be made to the legal entity and mailed to the legal address or the remittance address, if a remittance address is included, listed in the W-9.
- Receipts for expended funds:
- Payroll: please submit both a payroll report (such as Excel or Quickbooks) and a bank statement showing that the payroll checks have cleared.
- Rent: please submit a receipt from your landlord for the months that are being claimed which includes the amount, your business name, and the address. Alternatively, we would accept a lease document that contains the same information
and a copy of a bank statement that shows payment.
- Utilities, Insurance, Professional Services: please submit a copy of an itemized bill and a bank statement showing that the payment was made.
- Equipment, Inventory purchases, Supplies: please submit an itemized receipt of purchase and a bank statement showing that the payment was made.
You can black out your account number on the bank statements to preserve the security of your information.
Facilities must be willing to provide additional information or documentation as requested.
The maximum potential grant award is calculated by multiplying [the number of months that your program has been running from April through October 2020] x [$100] x [half of your total licensed capacity]. For example, if your total capacity is 50 children,
your monthly grant amount would be 25 (half your total capacity) times $100, for a total of $2,500 for each month you have been open. If the program is open for July, August, and September, the grant award would be $7,500 ($2,500 x 3).
Grantees will need to submit receipts for eligible expenses incurred between March 15 and October 31, up to the maximum amount identified in the calculation above.
Please note: If you are a childcare provider and believe it would be preferable to apply through either the nonprofit or small business grant program instead, you may do so. However, you must pick only one.
Payment will be made to the legal entity and mailed to the legal address or the remittance address indicated on the W-9.
Use of funds restrictions: Funds cannot be used to pay taxes, fees or any other payments due to the County or Towns.
The source of funding for this grant program is the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act federal stimulus package. Grant funds will be allocated, as applicable, through the Town of Christiansburg, Town of Blacksburg, and/or Montgomery
For more information or questions, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.