Below are current volunteer opportunities with RSVP.
There are a variety of opportunities available to appeal to the many interests of our volunteers. For more information on any opportunity, call the RSVP office at 382-5775 or email email@example.com.
- CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) Training begins on Monday, March 17 ending on Saturday, April 12 in Christiansburg. This training is offered annually. If you are interested in becoming a CASA volunteer, please call 540-381-8312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Good Samaritan Hospice is holding Family Support Training on Wednesdays beginning March 5 at 4 p.m. in their office located on 1160 Moose Drive in Christiansburg. They are looking for volunteers to provide family support to hospice patients and families in their home or place of residence. Contact Deborah Lovelace at 381-3171 or email email@example.com.
- Volunteers will be needed to staff the RSVP table during The New River Valley Homebuilder’s Association Home Expo. Volunteers will also be needed to stuff goody bags the week of March 3. It is being held at the Christiansburg Recreation Center on Friday, March 7, from 4 to 7 p.m.; Saturday, March 8, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday, March 9, from noon to 5 p.m. Admission is $5. Call the RSVP office if you would like to work a two-and-a-half hour shift.
- A Blood Drive will be held on Wednesday, March 5 from 11 a.m to 5 p.m. at the Christiansburg Recreation Center. Call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE to schedule an appointment to donate blood. Since the mobile unit will be used for this drive, volunteers will not be needed.
- The Literacy Volunteers of the NRV will be holding their Scrabble Tournament on Thursday, March 13, at the VA Tech German Club from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Volunteers are needed to help with set-up, check-in, judging, serving food, clean-up, etc. Call RSVP if you can assist in this worthwhile fundraiser. If you would like to participate in the tournament, the entrance fee is $30 for dinner and the game. The deadline to register is March 7. Call RSVP if you’d like to volunteer during the event.
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery is seeking volunteers to assist in the Gift Shop. Times available are: Monday, Tuesday or Thursday mornings from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., or Wednesday from 1 to 4 p.m. Contact Rhonda Whaling at 953-5291 for an application.
- The Montgomery County Cooperative Extension is conducting a Reality Store on Tuesday, April 1, from 7:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. at Christiansburg High School. If you can help with a two hour shift in this budgeting exercise with tenth graders, call RSVP.
- Medi Home Health and Hospice has opportunities for people with diverse skills and interests from office work or care-giving to reading, cooking or gardening. Volunteers will receive specialized training in their area of interest. Contact Hilda Burnette, RN at 382-5637.
- We will be traveling to the Veterans Medical Center in Salem on Tuesday, March 11, at 12 p.m. to conduct the bimonthly social.
- The Red Cross NRV Donor Center in Blacksburg is seeking volunteers to work on Tuesdays for a three hour shift between 12 and 6 p.m. The duties would include registration, donor assistant, and canteen. Call RSVP to help.
- Wheatland Hills Retirement Community in Christiansburg is looking for someone to lead or host some different group activities including Easy Motions, Bridge, Canasta, Gin and possibly a sewing club. The activities can be held during the daytime or evening around 6 p.m. Call Ashley Hurley at 382-5200.
- Habitat for Humanity NRV’s ReStore located at 1675 Franklin Street in Christiansburg is seeking volunteers to serve as a special events coordinator, assist with repairs, and help repurpose items.Call Elizabeth Sorenson at 961-4370 to learn about these needs and schedules.