Below are current volunteer opportunities with RSVP.
This is a great season to get involved in volunteering, as many agencies need extra hands. There are a variety of opportunities available to appeal to the many interests of our volunteers. For more information on any opportunity, call the RSVP office at 382-5775 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Montgomery County Christmas Store will need volunteers to assist during the shopping days of Dec. 10 though 14 for a four-hour shift or to finish setting up the store. Call or email Mae Hoover at 381-0585 or email@example.com to see where help is needed.
- Volunteers are needed to bake pies for the annual Christmas dinner for the Christiansburg Police Department. The pies are needed on Friday, Dec. 6 by noon at RSVP. Call if you can bake for our officers.
- “Wrapping For a Reason” is a fundraising activity for the Montgomery County Emergency Assistance Program (MCEAP) and is held at the NRV Mall near Belk. No experience necessary and training is provided. You may sign up at the following link or call RSVP: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0E44ABAD29AB9-wrapping1.
- VA Tech Adult Day Care Center is in need of volunteers to serve as friendly companions during the VA Tech winter break from Dec. 16 to Jan. 24. They need help in two-hour blocks anytime between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Call RSVP for more details.
- RSVP needs more volunteers who quilt to join us on Monday mornings from 9 a.m. to noon to help in our quilting projects.
- Montgomery Museum is in need of docents. The Museum is open Tuesdays through Saturdays and the volunteer shifts are 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 1 to 4 p.m. A training session is planned for Jan.
- Carilion NRV Medical Center needs volunteers to fill the following positions: Front desk, Escort, Gift Shop, Coffee Shop and Waiting Areas. Contact Julia Dill at 731-2428 to complete an application.
- The Salvation Army is seeking volunteer tutors for an after school tutoring program for students K-5 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:15 to 5 p.m. A background check is required.
- A Blood Drive is scheduled on Monday, Dec. 2 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Christiansburg Recreation Center, Court C. Call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE to schedule an appointment to donate blood.
- Wheatland Hills Christiansburg needs volunteers to assist with the monthly birthday parties held on the third Wednesday of each month at 2 p.m. Also, help is needed in the beauty shop on Tuesdays from 1:30-3:30 with residents’ hair appointments and manicures.
- We will be traveling to the Salem Veteran’s Hospital on Tuesday, Dec. 10 at 12:30 p.m. to conduct a holiday social for the patients at 2 p.m. If you would like to go, call to sign up as soon as possible, as there is a limited number that we are allowed to take. If you’d like to provide a snack for the social, please give us a call. We will be taking gifts for the patients and items they can use are: sweat pants, pajama pants, shirts, t-shirts, socks, slipper socks, baseball hats, shampoo, deodorant and body wash. They also will enjoy any candy (does not have to be sugar free) and any individually wrapped snack food items . Bring any donations to RSVP.
- The United Way is conducting a Holiday Food drive to provide local families with a box filled with Holiday dinner essentials. United Way will be collecting food donations until mid-Dec. A list of needed food items is in the RSVP office.
- Please note that the regularly scheduled birthday parties days and times at English Meadows and Heritage Hall have been moved from their regular days due to the Christmas holiday. Heritage Hall will be held on Tuesday, Dec. 17 at 2:30 p.m. and English Meadows will be held on Wednesday, Dec. 18 at 1:30 p.m.